Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday Blessing

I have seen countless people who have burst into tears out of nothing more than happiness and I always wondered if that was a normal reaction. Today I found my answer: yes. Yes a thousand times because I am sitting here, typing this post, as I wipe my smudged mascara from underneath my eyes. Yes, as I recall this early afternoon and yes, as I close my eyes and picture my mother.

Today marks my first day volunteering at an outpatient exercise program where participants have suffered from a stroke, brain injury or are diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and have been discharged from either a hospital or rehabilitation centre. It is a program aimed to have participants engage in exercise to strengthen their balance and walking while having the opportunity to interact with others. This program acts as a bridge to help former patients ease back into their former lives while still getting the exercise they need to achieve their everyday tasks.  Coincidentally, one of the instructors who runs the program is also involved in the aquatic programs run by the city (which is where I work part time too).  What a small world! It was really nice to see a familiar face and instantly I felt a little more comfortable with running one of the exercise stations.  All in all, my first day went incredibly smoothly and I was so thrilled to have gotten to converse with most of the patients there. They were all sweethearts and the determination they had was incredible! It was very touching, especially the three women who had multiple sclerosis. To see them gather every ounce of strength they had to complete the exercises was great and somehow, it comforted me and instilled more faith in my mother.

_____________________________________________________________________________________


Quick sketch of him, and a vanilla latte (I couldn't resist!)
_____________________________________________________________________________________


We bumped into each other at the bus stop and we began to converse in all things related to Kinesiology--it was really nice. And the more we talked, the more I realized that he was not who I thought he was. I admit, my first impression of him was far from pleasant; he seemed arrogant and...well, for a lack of a better word, bitchy. But I do take that back. He reminded me that sometimes, it is worth to get to know the person a little better before brushing them off as scum.  Talking to him reminded me of all the right things I am doing in life. Again, it was a bit like self-confirmation? And while he probably doesn't think much of me, I do admire his leadership abilities and his confidence.  

Today has served more than a restoration in humanity. This Friday has opened new doors for me and I feel so good. 

So fucking good. 

Cheers,
-t

No comments:

Post a Comment