Saturday, September 1, 2012

I Have Way Too Much Fun at Sea

After spending seven days at sea, I realized how incredible it felt to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I was so happy, without my cell phone and any access to the internet. Perhaps it is because I am more mature now and I've grown that I have come to cherish the moments with my family. Looking back at all the photographs we took, I cannot help but feel the warmth and love we have for each other. While our family struggles everyday with the various current situations we must all deal with together, I feel the effort we put in to ensure that we do not fall apart. But not everyday goes smoothly. Throughout the trip, we had really good moments and extremely stressful lows. However, there was not one day where I felt like crying. Maybe there is something about the ocean that minimizes the emotional pain. Looking back, I am amazed at how well we kept it together.




Despite being with my family most of the time, I did have lots of time for myself. And the best part was that I rarely thought about any problems. My mind was truly relaxed and I found myself in a constant state of contentment. If there is anything I have learned, it is that dwelling into the past and self-absorbing my own emotions was the unhealthiest thing I could do for myself. It was such a habit of mine and to this very day, I have to be conscious of whether I am engaging in such a negative thought process. I went to the jazz lounge alone and I had such a fantastic time! I got a chance to talk briefly to the pianist. People there were such kind beings, full of passion and compassion. I have met many people who are so uncomfortable with being alone and I wonder why--why would one be so uncomfortable with spending time with themselves? I feel like it is rare that we have time for ourselves in such a chaotic society. I had the privilege of receiving this alone time accompanied with fabulous live jazz music. I even had the chance to chat with the pianist of the jazz band.

Along with a self-discovery, I had the opportunity to try out stand-up paddle boarding in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas as well as hike down the highest peak on the island of Philipsberg, St. Maarten!




All I can say is that I feel incredibly blessed (and a tad bit spoiled) to have gone through such an exhilarating and peaceful experience. I could not ask for anything better.

Cheers,
-t

P.S. While on the ship, I had the best crush on our head waiter. He was so sweet, polite and incredible sly. It is only natural for me to have the silliest crush on a man who I may never see again...sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment